RIA Registration Exemptions

RIA registration exemptions.  As you consider your new business model for your investment advisory firm, questions will arise around which regulator are you supposed to register your new independent investment advisory firm?  That is, either with the state or federal regulators.  Most new RIA firms will register with their state regulator, in the state where they maintain their principal place of business. 

Other new RIA firms, may avail themselves of a federal exemption and register with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).  The federal exemptions exist and are applicable to investment advisory firms depending upon how your business model will operate and/or the services that will be provided.

This is not a complete list of all the federal exemptions, but some of the more common to consider when thinking about your RIA registration exemptions:

  • Your principal office and place of business is outside the United States;
  • You are a pension consultant with respect to assets of plans having an aggregate value of at least $200,000,000;
  • You are a related advisor that controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with an investment adviser registered with the SEC;
  • You are a multi-state adviser that is required to register in 15 or more states;
  • You are an Internet Adviser relying on Rule 203A-2(e).

Contact Registered Advisor Services today for more information concerning RIA registration exemptions! 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

XHTML: You can use these tags <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>